Saturday, January 2, 2010

Canaan's birth

Ok, so I am FINALLY posting after months! Crazy, I know! It's been a little busy, getting used to having two kiddos! So, here it is, by popular demand, Canaan's birth story. Be forewarned, it is long!...

From about 30 weeks on I had pregnancy induced high blood pressure, so they decided to induce me at 40 weeks. When I went into the hospital I wasn't dilated or effaced at all. I hadn't been having any contractions. If they hadn't induced me, I'm sure this kid would have stayed in there all the way to 42 weeks, which would have been fine with me because honestly I wasn't that uncomfortable. Seriously, if it hadn't of been for the blood pressure thing and having to go to the dr. two to three times a week at the end, it would have been the world’s easiest pregnancy ever.

So I went in Thursday night (day 1). The hospital I went to does inductions really slowly, to make them as natural as possible, so my midwife warned me it could be a two or three day process, but I have to admit I didn't really believe her. Because I wasn't effaced or dilated, they decided to prep me with some medicine called cervadil first. I stayed overnight and had to be hooked up to the fetal monitors because of the medicine, so I was basically confined to the bed. After 12 hours, nothing had happened, so they decided to do another round of 12 hours. Needless to say I was pretty bummed out. After another 12 hours, still nothing had happened, so they were going to let me rest for the night (Friday night, day 2) and we would start with pitocen the next morning.

Saturday morning, they took me over to labor and delivery bright and early, and started me on a low dose of pitocen. The bad news was that I had to stay on the fetal monitors, but the good news was that they had a portable system, so I was able to get up and walk around. I wasn't stuck to the bed.

It was no big deal at first, mild contractions every several minutes, but by around 12:00 they were getting really close together and a lot stronger. The midwife put something in to irritate my cervix and help me dilate, and by around 2:00 I was dilated 2.5 cm. By 6:00, the nurses told me the midwife was on her way to check on me and if I wasn't at 4 cm yet they were going to stop the pitocen for the night to give my uterus a break and start again in the morning. By this time my contractions were like 1-2 minutes apart, so I was sure I was at like 6 cm or something. When she checked me, I was still at 2.5. I was so upset!

The next day we started again at 5am. It was similar to the previous day, but harder. I was able to get into the tub, which helped a little bit. By around 2:30 I pretty much broke down emotionally and cried off and on until 6pm. My contractions were coming like every minute, and by this time I was just done. I didn't even care if I ended up win a c-section. At the end of the day they took me off the pitocen and checked me. I was at 4cm. Totally depressing. The plan for the next day was to break my water, so one way or another he was coming out.

We started the pitocen again at around 5 on Monday. I had decided during the night that I wanted an epidural that day. I just couldn't handle going through another day like the one before. The midwife came in at 8am and broke my water. I told her I wanted an epidural and she encouraged me to wait until the contractions really started going, so that it wouldn't slow anything down. She left and the contractions started going really strong really fast. I didn't feel like I was getting any at all break between them. I couldn't sit still, all I could do was walk in laps around the room. At around 9am I told the nurse I wanted the epidural. Unfortunately there were a ton of people getting c-sections that day, so it took over an hour for the anesthesiologist to come.

I had been really nervous about the epidural. I HATE needles and I was really paranoid that it wouldn't work and then I wouldn't be mentally prepared to go the rest of the time without it, but it turned out to be no big deal and within minutes I was feeling better. I was so excited to just be able to just hang out with Filipe and my mom, watch movies and enjoy the experience. About 30 minutes after I got the epidural I started feeling light headed and nauseous. Before long I was throwing up and all I could do was lay motionless with my eyes closed. So much for just partying the rest of the time! The nurse said that some people just get sick as their labor progresses. I threw up off and on for the rest of the day. It was crazy for me because I NEVER throw up. I didn't even have any morning sickness.

By around 7pm I was FINALLY dilated enough to push. I pushed for over two hours (and still threw up a couple times during the pushing!). Canaan was born at 9:45pm and weighed 7lbs 14oz. Shlioh wasn't supposed to visit (no one over the age of 12 was allowed on the floor because of H1N1), but we snuck her in a couple of times. We managed to be released 24 hours after he was born. I was so glad! I felt so bad for Shiloh because by this time we had been in the hospital for 5 days and she had only ever been away from us for one night at a time!

It has been a little crazy going from one to two kids. Shiloh has been amazing with him! She hasn't really had any adjustment issues and is such a sweet big sister. I told her that one day Canaan will get bigger and they will be able to play with each other, so she has been making a lot of comments about how big he is getting and that one day he'll play with her. She loves to help with him! Her favorite thing to do is pick out his diapers (they have Sesame Street characters on them).

Canaan has been growing like crazy! He is now over 13 lbs! He is in the 50th percentile for height and between the 90th and 97th percentile for weight! He really is a very easy baby. He hardly cries and is smiling and cooing like crazy. We are still working on the sleeping through the night thing, but he is getting better. It has really been amazing having two kids! It's amazing how much room you have in your heart to be able to love them both so much!


Leah said...

oh jenn! my body hurts just reading that story. i wish it wasn't such a long process to get him outta there but that's how it happened and it makes for a great story :) thanks for posting all the juicy details! SO glad he's here!!

Timbra Wiist said...

oh yay. . fun fun, a new baby. thanks for sharing. he looks soo much like daddy!!! now, how did he end up in the hospital again? and how was that experience?

Janice said...

Hi Jenn - I fell in love with your gorgeous Shiloh the first time I saw her photo.

I was thrilled to check your blog this evening and see that you have yet another gorgeous child. Welcome to adorable Canaan and congratulations to you, Felipe and Shiloh.

Wishing you all continued joy, love and health in the coming year.


Nat said...

I'm so happy to finally see an update!!! I have been checking every so often hoping you would post something. He's perfect!!! I'm so happy for you all and am happy the transition has been easy for Shiloh! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Kelly T said...

Congratulations - he is just precious! Having two is such a wonderful blessing!!!

Angela said...

Such a cute Baby! So glad all is well.

Kim said...

Love your bloggs! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, many congrats to you all.

Id never heard of nausea whilst giving birth prior to reading this, so thankyou for sharing :)

Wishing you happy times ahead...