Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I have always said that I wanted to take advantage of all this waiting time before Shiloh comes home to get into shape. Now we are hopefully only a few months away from getting her home and I am still saying it, though not taking a whole lot of action to do anything about it.

The weather here is finally making the change for the cooler. No longer is it the suffocating heat from the summer. We decided this weekend to take advantage of the weather and take a bike ride with my brother and sister-in-law. The last time I rode my bike was about a year and a half ago, and I could only go for about 20 minutes because the seat hurt my butt so bad. I convinced Filipe to buy me the cushy, lazy boy of bike seats, assuring him that if my seat was more comfortable than I would go riding with him. And here we are a year and a half later.

Needless to say, I was nervous to go for a group bike ride. I figured that I was completely out of shape and was expecting to only be able to do another slow 10 minute bike ride before I ruined the party and told everyone that I needed to go back. Tara (my sis-in-law) assured me that she would be slow and couldn't go that far either, so they convinced me to go along.

The first 15 minutes were easy! Tara and I were patting each other on the backs saying that this was no problem and we were obviously in better shape than we thought. Then we started getting tired and thinking about turning around. The guys were planning on going all the way around the lake, so we started asking if we were half way yet. They assured us we were, so we figured there was no point in turning around. After a while I needed a quick break, so we stopped at a clearing where we could see the other side of the lake. It turned out we were only maybe about 1/3 of the way there! They guys had been lying to us for the past several miles! I was feeling better after the break, so we decided to trek on anyway. To make a long story short... we made it the whole way around! It was 9 miles! I was incredibly proud of myself (though I won't tell you how long it took us), and decided to start riding on the weekends to finally pursue my dream of losing some weight before Shiloh comes home. Now that I have put it in writing, I guess I have to stick to it.

Also, Guatemala is having their elections for a new president next week. Be praying that the new person elected will be pro-adoption and will have a desire to get these processes moving! The current president is also trying to cause some trouble before he leaves, threatening to close down the hogars in Guatemala. The US government has responded negatively to his actions, and our attorney doesn't think that he will be able to do it, but it is still a threat at least for another week or two. I have been praying a lot about it and am really feeling peace about it. I feel like God is going to protect the children there, and I know that God is stronger than any president or government and that he loves my little girl more than I do. Please be praying for these things! Thanks!

8 comments:

Tara said...

Yes, you do have to stick to it and I will too- we are so amazing jenn...9 miles....thats practicly unheard of! All I need now is the gel filled lazy boy seat cushion so that I can still have babies and walk and little things like that.

Drew said...

jen, im so proud! keep it up! I wish I could have gone with you guys. Love you!

Courtney said...

jen, great job on the bike ride. keep up the good work. i am so proud of you. yes, sounds like we are only about 1 1/2 weeks apart with our adoption... keep our fingers crossed about the new president. thanks for the info. courtney

Melissa said...

I love that picture with the lighthouse.

I also made that commitment to get in shape before bringing Sunbeam home. I had good intentions, but haven't accomplished anything! Maybe we can be accountable to each other!

Jenn said...

I know! It's gorgeous, isn't it?! That is the actual lake we rode around!!

Kristin said...

Very interesting!! I came across your blog today through two people!! Courtney's blog had a link and another friend's, Dave and Shannon!! How funny! We went to college with Dave and Shannon. We, too, are adopting a baby girl from Guatemala. Congratulations on your new addition--and many blessings! I'll check back often for updates!

Hugs,
Kristin

gregoryandkristin.blogspot.com

Drew said...

I figured out why your blog has a spell check! it's cause you use firefox!

coment tara yo ruinet my spel cheker

mesoubl

Burchams said...

We miss you guys! Thanks for keeping us constantly updated on your lives...and your precious little baby on the way! We've just started a blog too. You should check it out. http://burcham.blogspot.com/